Sunday night at our small (actually very large) group Clay asked the question “What is your biggest fear?” We’ll I didn’t share mine, but I will now. My biggest fear, being attacked/kidnapped. This is a fear that influences many decisions I make on a daily basis. Today for example, while going to get candy to teach my CPR class to little kids I parked so I can walk straight to my car upon leaving the store and can see if there is someone around me in or under my car, the pool sounded like it needed water but it was already dark and I didn’t want to go and turn the water on in the dark. That’s not too bad for me, only 2! Usually its like 4 or 5. Sometimes I feel like this fear, almost obsession, is out of control.
A few of you know that I used to not take a shower or dry my hair if I was at home alone. If those two things are going on how will you know if someone breaks into your house? I would rather hear them coming. I a parking lot I have to park where I can walk straight to my car, no walking around for this girl, seriously, I’ll circle the parking lot for 15 minutes if I have to. This started after a girl was kidnapped from a Wal-Mart parking lot while she was about to get into her car. This use to not be as big of a fear, but a few months after that incident happened I was walking around my car and there was a man walking towards me and was by my door. I started backing up, he assured me that everything was okay and all he just needed some money for gas. I didn’t have any cash, I hardly carry cash, so he went on his way. I watched from the middle of the driving isle until I felt like it was safe to return to the car. Really, who would approach a women that is alone for money in between cars… CREEPY! I also won’t go run by myself anymore, not even on the running trail in Longview. I have to be where Chris can see me and would know if something were to happen to me. That’s the other part about my fear, if I know that someone knows where I am or if there is sort of a timeline for the day, I’m okay.
This drives Christopher absolutely bonkers! I really don’t know what and how to change this. Once when I decided I was going to brave it pushing Addison on the running trail Christopher was on his way back ,from the end of the trail, and caught up with me and asked me if I was scared and I said yes, but I just prayed for bravery the whole time, it worked.
I really have no idea why I’m like this, where it came from, or when it started. I think that I have a pretty detailed imagination and it can start to go wild sometimes with things that could happen in certain situations. Almost to the point that I feel like it’s real and that something is about to happen. I used to watch crime shows and somewhat scary movies. Can’t do that anymore, it only feeds the imagination and things that could happen. Christopher and I used to watch criminal minds, loved that show… not now, it only makes it worse.
Well, there you go… I spilled one of my secrets. I guess that I’m hoping that writing this all out is going to be a healthy, helpful step for my fears. Not sure what to do with this next…
10 comments:
i struggle big time with the same thing. i have a hard time washing my face before bed cause the water is running so i can't hear as well and my eyes are closed so i can't see as well.
i'm proud of you for your honesty about the whole fear. hope it helps begin to tackle it.
About your fears, I think all of these are normal but I will have to agree that you have more of an active imagination than the average joe.
You need to get a big dog! :)
I only say that because having Buck for me has made a huge difference. I feel like I can walk/jog late at night with him. If I am in the shower and no one else is here, I find comfort in knowing he is here to protect me. It really eases my mind.
Okay Mindy-I know that I don't comment often (ok NEVER), but I know exactly how you feel! When I go out I wear tennis shoes so I have a better chance of getting away-I walk with my keys between my fingers ready for anything! I made the decision a long time ago that I was going down fighting and have taken a couple of self-defense classes when offered through work! My imagination runs wild and often gets the best of me! I constantly pray that the Lord keeps me and my family safe! I completely understand the shower and blowing drying thing! Its amazing how quickly you can shower! I always know where my exits are and continously map out a plan of escape for me and my children if ever needed! Really long post, but you aren't alone and praying for peace of mind has helped me get through my daily routine! Hang in there!
Christy
Thanks for the encouragement and comments! I'm so glad to know that I'm not alone and Christopher can see that I'm not the only crazy one! Annalee, I'm the same way with washing my face. Andrea, maybe I do need to train Chutch to be an inside dog like Buck! Christy, I carry my keys in my fingers to, thats always my thought, I'm going down fighting! Thanks girls!
Hey Mindi,
I don't know if I've ever commented on your blog, but I like reading it! I can totally relate to you with your fear! I am constantly thinking about my surroundings and all the "what ifs". Once, I examined my trunk to see if I had an emergency release pull so that the trunk could be opened from the inside...it didn't and I totally freaked, called the dealership and freaked even more when they told me that you can't have one of those just installed. I now have a different car! I have really struggled with my crazy thoughts and constantly being scared. I am reading a book right now called The Shack. It's a tough read at first (deals with a kidnapping),but the message is amazing.
Lori, who is the author of that book?
Hey Girls,
There are 365 verses in the Bible where it say..fear not...God doesn't intend fpr us to live in fear....I'm swqmped at work and will be untill the 18 of August, then I'll send all of you the verses!!! Pray for peace and guidence!!!
I have the SAME problem. I really dont look at it as a problem more like being SAFE!
William P. Young is the author. you can get it on amazon for about $9.
Ok Mindi, I am TOTALLY with you on this. I think I have dealt with so many traumas in my life and had so many of my girl friends raped that I am SO overly cautious when I am out alone and with Haven. So much so that on my new cell phone there is a gps tracking device that I can let adam and my family know where I am at ALL times of the day and it will pin point my exact location with a map and a time that I was there. I can also send a text and in an instant I can also see where everyone else in my family is at any time of the day. I am constantly driving to construction sites with men I don't know or trust and sometimes I am alone so I am always calling Adam to tell him where I am and who I will be meeting with and how long I should be there and where I am planning on going next. Sometimes I think he doesn't care, but I still give him all the info anyways. So just in case I don't show up at home when I am supposed to he can know where to look.
Okay there I am giving WAY too much information about myself here. But all that to say my mind works the same way and I have been like this for a LONG time and its even worse now with Haven. Sometimes I even think that if I imagine all the details in my head ahead of time, then I have a better chance of surviving an attack because I have already come up with a solution or exit strategy. WEIRD I KNOW. I think its all the stuff that has happened to friends in the past that makes me so cautious.
Post a Comment